Thursday, May 29, 2008

I Got Them!!!

My brand new Futuro Plantar Fasciitis Sleep Supports better known as Night Splints. Most of you probably don't have a clue what I'm talking about! LOL!! Well, unfortunately about two years ago, I decided that it would be the perfect time for me to jump start my weight loss program by running...NOT!! Being that the scale is not my friend, it was probably the worse thing that I could do. Not that this condition doesn't happen to people who the scale is very friendly to. It's a common condition among runners called Plantar Fasciitis. Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about it:

Do your first few steps out of bed in the morning cause severe pain in your heel? Or does your heel hurt after jogging or playing tennis?
Most commonly, heel pain is caused by inflammation of the plantar fascia — the tissue along the bottom of your foot that connects your heel bone to your toes. The condition is called plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis).
Plantar fasciitis causes stabbing or burning pain that's usually worse in the morning because the fascia tightens (contracts) overnight. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis normally decreases, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position.


So, after a year of pain, I decided to go to the Dr. Can you tell I'm terrified of Dr.'s??! LOL! Anyway, I knew before she gave me the diagnosis what it would be. I had already read about it on the Web. So, I was prescribed tennis shoes, stretches, and physical therapy. $$$$$$$$$ The physical therapy didn't help at all and the tennis shoes really didn't feel all that different. Now, I must admit that I really haven't performed the stretches as instructed which may be the reason for my very SLOW recovery. Needless to say, after two years I'm still no better than I was when it was diagnosed. Now that it's goten really bad, I've decided to be a good patient and do the recommended stretching along with purchasing the night splints. Looking at this contraption, it looks like it's not a big deal, but if you have this condition, the thought of your foot being in this position is TERRIFYING!! At this point though...I'll try anything because I can no longer wear regular shoes, walk barefoot, and most exercises are very painful. :( Since I'm trying to lose weight, exercise is a must so, I'll let you know the verdict after sleeping in these tonight.



Now, I was scrolling through my pictures and came across this one of my daughter on her 2nd Halloween. Isn't she the cutest little bug??? I just love this picture. It made me smile and maybe it will bring a smile to your face too. LOL!! No laughing please. :o)

Smooches xoxo

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Im glad you were able to get your splints. Hope the pain subsides! Love the photo too.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Good luck with the splints--I hope they work for you!! Your little "bug" is just adorable, and you are right, it did make me smile!

I got my cutey pie tags on Saturday--thank yous so much, they are adorable!! I blogged about them today, stop by and see!

http://misseskwitty.blogspot.com/

Smiles, Karen

Amy said...

Hope the splints work for you, Ken & your little 'Bug' certainly DID make me smile this morning. She is such a cutie-pie!!

Mississippi Songbird said...

Your Lil bug is adorable..Oh, I hope that your splints work for you.. I bet that is painful..

Brown English Muffin said...

wow I sometimes break out in hives from running just like this article describes...it's so annoying!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...